Monday, January 19, 2009

am art space





This, is am space, located in the first floor of an old building more than 90years lod. This villa is a French style, I guess here lived a rich family long long ago. But right now, the space inside is seperated into parts. 5 or 6 ordinary Chinese family living here. We have a lovely garden with grass and trees. Although nobody take care of the grass and cut them regularly make it looks so rough, everyone living here still love it.
am, not big, has three space. The biggest space is the one you will as soon as you come in, this is our main room for activity. It's about 20 square meters, with high ceiling, two old windows with figured glass and old wooden floor. Our design area is just beside the main room. It's the smallest of three, full of books and files. Most of the time, Lam and our only staff sit here and working on computer. Behind the working area, the last stays a little dim and mysterious...
It's so multifunctional, sometimes it's living room for travelling artists, sometimes it's a storeroom, sometimes videos show here.
The character of the building make our space quite different from other Shanghai gallery---- huge, bright, so much white wall... ...Here is so suitable for some fresh, freedom, small group talking... ... I can show my own art work here, without talking and explaining my ideas to different directors of gallerys with CD, and they always look so absent-minded; I can spare here with some friends of mine, that face to the same difficulty like me as a young artist; I can make my style exhibition, just my style; I will meet more interesting people and try to talk with them here, you know, it's not easy to find the right people who you would like to speak to and hear from; Lam could keep the balance of doing what he hate(design for some stupid boss of a company that has an awful taste and doesn't know anthing about art, just for money)and what he like(enjoy his favourite music, draw what he likes to draw, don't say Bye-bye to the art world) All and all flash into my brain in one minute, and when I am writing to you right now, I fell come back to 6 month ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment